Saturday, October 14, 2023

Learning Coptic Binding

Fodder School 3 has begun! It's been a busy couple of weeks! Di Venter has us painting fabric for book cloth and she's teaching us coptic stitched binding. By the fourth book, I was able to stitch the binding without following along with the lesson...although I think I messed up on one stitch.

My first two...The small one was first, to practice. I used my test fabrics for the cover. I loved Di's French bulldog cover so much that I decided to do a cat cover, with our Sadie Marmalady.
 
For the third book, I used one of my favorite gelliplate prints for the covers. This is a great way to use the gelliplate prints that I like too much to cut up into small pieces for collage. I used some colorful illustrations I saved from an issue of the New Yorker for the endpapers Still thinking of adding something to this cover.

And today, I bound my third cat book. I included some envelopes that I painted on both sides, again, for The 100 Day Project 2022. I love binding envelopes into books to create pockets.
 
I have used up most of my papers from The100 Day Project 2022. Papers were painted on both sides, theory being I would have an endless supply of painted pages to bind into books. The supply is not as endless as I'd hoped. Maybe I should do that same project in 2024 to replenish my pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment